You can browse pieces by name, playlist, audio quality, composer, performer, popularity, date added to website, source, or license.
Robert Schumann (8 June 1810 – 29 July 1856) was a German composer and influential music critic. He is widely regarded as one of the greatest composers of the Romantic era. Schumann left the study of law, intending to pursue a career as a virtuoso pianist. He had been assured by his teacher Friedrich Wieck that he could become the finest pianist in Europe, but a hand injury ended this dream. Schumann then focused his musical energies on composing.
Schumann's published compositions were written exclusively for the piano until 1840; he later composed works for piano and orchestra; many Lieder (songs for voice and piano); four symphonies; an opera; and other orchestral, choral, and chamber works. Works such as Kinderszenen, Album für die Jugend, Blumenstück, the Sonatas and Albumblätter are among his most famous. His writings about music appeared mostly in the Neue Zeitschrift für Musik (New Journal for Music), a Leipzig-based publication which he jointly founded.
In 1840, Schumann married Friedrich Wieck's daughter Clara, against the wishes of her father, following a long and acrimonious legal battle, which found in favor of Clara and Robert. Clara also composed music and had a considerable concert career as a pianist, the earnings from which formed a substantial part of her father's fortune.
Schumann suffered from a lifelong mental disorder, first manifesting itself in 1833 as a severe melancholic depressive episode, which recurred several times alternating with phases of ‘exaltation’ and increasingly also delusional ideas of being poisoned or threatened with metallic items. After a suicide attempt in 1854, Schumann was admitted to a mental asylum, at his own request, in Endenich near Bonn. Diagnosed with "psychotic melancholia", Schumann died two years later in 1856 without having recovered from his mental illness.
The composer description is offered by courtesy of Wikipedia, under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
Classical music pieces by Robert Schumann :
- 'The Poet's Love' - Dichterliebe composed by Robert Schumann [HD]
- Abegg Variations, Op. 1 - Robert Schumann [HD]
- Adagio und Allegro, Op. 70 - Schumann - full version performed by Carr and Sauer!
- Carnival Scenes from Vienna, Op. 26 - Robert Schumann - performed by Filjak!
- Davidsbündlertänze (Dances of the League of David) - Schumann, full version!
- Fantasiestücke (Op. 12), Robert Schumann - full work in HD!
- Grand Sonata No. 1 in F-sharp minor, Op. 11 - Robert Schumann - full version!
- Humoreske in B-flat Major, Op. 20 - Schumann - full version, performed by Jumppanen!
- Kreisleriana Biss - Robert Schumann [HD]
- Liederkreis, Op. 24 - Schumann - full version, performed by Padmore and Biss!
- Piano Quartet in E-flat Major, Op. 47 - Robert Schumann [HD]
- Piano Quintet in E-flat Major, Op. 44 - Robert Schumann [HD]
- Piano Trio in D Minor, Op. 63 - Schumann
- Piano Trio No. 2 in F Major, Op. 80 - Robert Schumann [HD]
- Piano Trio No. 3 in G minor, Op. 110 - Robert Schumann [HD]
- Schumann Carnaval, Op. 9 - Robert Schumann [HD]
- Schumann Fantasiestucke, Op. 73 - Robert Schumann [HD]
- Sechs Gedichte und Requiem (Six Poems and Requiem) , Op. 90 - Schumann - full version!
- Sonata in F-sharp Minor, Op. 11 - Schumann - full version performed by Jumppanen!
- Sonata No. 1 in A minor for violin and piano, Op. 105 - Robert Schumann [HD]
- String Quartet in F Major, Op. 41, No. 2 - Schumann - full version!
--- Back to the list of all composers available in our classical music library ---