You can browse pieces by name, playlist, audio quality, composer, performer, popularity, date added to website, source, or license.
Johannes Brahms (7 May 1833 – 3 April 1897) was a German composer and pianist. Born in Hamburg into a Lutheran family, Brahms spent much of his professional life in Vienna, Austria. In his lifetime, Brahms's popularity and influence were considerable. He is sometimes grouped with Johann Sebastian Bach and Ludwig van Beethoven as one of the "Three Bs", a comment originally made by the nineteenth-century conductor Hans von Bülow.
Brahms composed for piano, chamber ensembles, symphony orchestra, and for voice and chorus. A virtuoso pianist, he premiered many of his own works. He worked with some of the leading performers of his time, including the pianist Clara Schumann and the violinist Joseph Joachim (the three were close friends). Many of his works have become staples of the modern concert repertoire. Brahms, an uncompromising perfectionist, destroyed some of his works and left others unpublished.
Brahms is often considered both a traditionalist and an innovator. His music is firmly rooted in the structures and compositional techniques of the Baroque and Classical masters. He was a master of counterpoint, the complex and highly disciplined art for which Johann Sebastian Bach is famous, and of development, a compositional ethos pioneered by Joseph Haydn, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig van Beethoven, and other composers. Brahms aimed to honour the "purity" of these venerable "German" structures and advance them into a Romantic idiom, in the process creating bold new approaches to harmony and melody. While many contemporaries found his music too academic, his contribution and craftsmanship have been admired by subsequent figures as diverse as Arnold Schoenberg and Edward Elgar. The diligent, highly constructed nature of Brahms's works was a starting point and an inspiration for a generation of composers. Within his meticulous structures is embedded, however, a highly romantic nature.
The composer description is offered by courtesy of Wikipedia, under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License
Digital copy of the Brahms' portrait is provided by Bergen Public Library, used under a Public Domain license.
Classical music pieces by Johannes Brahms:
- A remarkable Brahms piece: Piano Quintet in F minor, Op. 34
- Brahms' Last Symphony: Symphony No. 4 in E Minor, Op. 98, 1st Mvt [HD]
- Brahms' Last Symphony: Symphony No. 4 in E Minor, Op. 98, 2nd Mvt [HD]
- Brahms' Last Symphony: Symphony No. 4 in E Minor, Op. 98, 3rd Mvt [HD]
- Brahms' Last Symphony: Symphony No. 4 in E Minor, Op. 98, 4th Mvt [HD]
- Brahms' rebirth: Clarinet Trio in A minor, Op. 114 - full version!
- Cello Sonata No. 1 - Brahms, perf. by Wendy Warner and Eileen Buck - full version in HD!
- Cello Sonata No. 2 in F major, Op. 99 - Brahms
- Clarinet Quintet in B minor, Op. 115 - Autumn mood, Johannes Brahms [HD]
- Hungarian Dance No. 2 on Violin and Piano - Brahms [HD]
- One of Brahms' finest works - String Quintet No. 1 (beautiful classical music!)
- Piano Quartet in A major, Op. 26 - Brahms - full version!
- Piano Quartet in G minor, Op. 25 - Brahms
- Piano Trio in B Major, Op. 8 - Brahms - full version!
- Piano Trio in C minor, Op. 101 - beautiful classical music (Brahms)
- Rhapsodies, Op. 79 - Brahms [HD]
- Rhapsody No. 2 in G minor. Op. 79, Molto passionato - Brahms (HD)
- Saint Anthony Variations - Johannes Brahms [HD]
- Sonata for Clarinet and Piano in F Minor, Op. 120, No. 1 - Brahms - beautiful performance!
- Sonatensatz - Brahms' part of the F-A-E Sonata ("Frei aber einsam")
- String Quartet in C Minor, Op. 51, No. 1 - Brahms - full version!
- String Quartet No. 1 in C minor - a terse, tragic Brahms work
- String Quartet No. 2 in A Minor - Johannes Brahms
- String Quartet No. 3 in B flat major - a light-hearted and cheerful Brahms piece [HD]
- String Sextet in B-flat Major, Op. 18 - Johannes Brahms
- String Sextet No. 2 in G major - exotic and innovative piece by Brahms
- Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, Op. 68 - a Brahms masterpiece [HD]
- Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 73 - a cheerful Brahms piece [HD]
- Symphony No. 3 in F Major, Op. 90 - a superb Brahms symphony [HD]
- Thun, Violin Sonata No. 2 in A Major - a radiant, happy Brahms piece
- Tragic Overture - Johannes Brahms' masterpiece [HD]
- Violin Sonata No. 3 in D minor - Brahms
- Werther, Piano Quartet in C minor - Johannes Brahms [HD]
--- Back to the list of all composers available in our classical music library ---